The Academy of Tucson is accredited by The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, also known as North Central, one of only six regional accreditation organizations recognized by the United States Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA) School Accreditation should be the beginning point in evaluating the fitness of a school.
To be accredited a school must meet high standards, engage in continuous improvement, and demonstrate quality assurance through external review. Administrators and teachers serve on visiting teams of other NCA schools, and The Academy has been called upon since 1990 to provide school leaders to assist in the ongoing improvement plans of many Arizona schools.
This professional experience provides us with great ideas and insight into best practices in achieving student academic success.
The 7 Standards of QAR
- Vision & Purpose The school must establish and communicate a shared purpose and direction for improving the performance of students and the effectiveness of the school.
- Governance & Leadership The school provides governance and leadership that promote student performance and school effectiveness.
- Teaching and Learning The school provides research based curriculum and instructional methods that facilitate achievement for all students.
- Documenting & Using Results The school enacts a comprehensive assessment system that monitors and documents performance and uses these results to improve student performance and school effectiveness.
- Resources & Support Systems The school has the resources and services necessary to support its vision and purpose and to ensure achievement for all students.
- Stakeholder Communication & Relationships The school fosters effective communications and relationships with and among its stakeholders
- Commitment to Continuous Improvement The school establishes, implements, and monitors a continuous process of improvement that focuses on student performance.
As an accredited school, The Academy of Tucson meets the seven quality assurance review standards. Quality Assurance Review (QAR) is the name given to the process a school must follow to assure continuation of accredited status. Each accredited school is reviewed every five years.
Since 1991, the Academy of Tucson has been continuously accredited without deficiency.